General IELTS Writing Task 1
The candidates in General IELTS Writing Task 1 are asked to write a letter with a given situation. The writing task 2 is weigh more than writing task 1.
Format of Writing Task 1:
General IELTS Writing Task 1 consists of one question that is letter writing. It is suggested to completed this task within 20 minutes and the word limit is 150 words.
In the task, candidate write a formal or informal letter responding to a problem or a given situation. There is some information bullet points that is just the rough idea for the test candidates to better understand the problem and its topic. Relevant content in the letter always results in better bands.
Scoring & Marking:
Similar to IELTS Academic, the writing task 1 weighs less than the writing task 2 in the test. Marking of the task is based on the following points:
- Well Achieved
- Easy to comprehend
- Correct usage of Vocabulary
- Accurate Grammar
Candidates who follow all these requirements always tend to far better than the other students.
If you want any further information regarding the scores, then visit the IELTS official website.
Topics for the Writing Task 1
The common topics for the letter in IELTS Writing Task 1 – General are:
- A trip to school
- Unable to join a friend on a trip
- International Day in college
- Applying for a job
- Writing to the landlord
- Asking for a friend’s health
- Writing to sick parents
- Apologizing to a relative
- Complaining to a relative
- Asking for a reference letter
- Inviting a friend over on an event
- Writing to an employer
- Register a complaint to an organization
- Writing to a principal
- Seeking financial help from a relative
- Writing to a travel agency
- Requesting to university management
- Complaining to the HR of a company
- Formal letter to the insurance company
- Writing response to a friend
- Writing to a local council
- Complaint to a hotel manager
- Asking help from an officer
- Writing to an owner of a company
- Invitation to a friend
All these topics come out frequently on task 1. Candidates should practice more and more, to achieve a high score on IELTS writing test.
IELTS General Writing Task 1 is all about clearly understanding the problem and writing a relevant appropriate response. The topic of this test are based on daily routine situations, making it easier for the test-takers to relate to the problem. Test-takers must make sure that the format of the letter is correct, because incorrect format will result in a penalty.